new SSSSTC works ;)

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi everyone,

awhile back i posted about trying out a new SSTC topology.  Some were
skeptical (and i still am a bit), but these first few tests have really
proven that its working.  Just how well is yet to be determined when i wire
up 240VAC service.  So far ive gotten 24" sparks to the target.  The
bridges were cold after the short run.  The input was 140VAC at less than
15A (since the 15A breaker never went).  Things are looking pretty good,
240VAC input will surely be exciting.  I need a new primary coil form, my
cardboard one started tracking :(  Im using 19 turns on the primary
coil!!!  That is not normal for a SSTC making 2 foot sparks, hehe.  Also,
the coupling is rather low at this point.  Anyway, see the updates at:

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/srward16/SSSSTC.htm

I will be updating it all the time, so if your interested check back
frequently.

Some thoughts on this topology:  The actually voltage multiplication part
works exactly as planned.  With 40V input i was lighting up a 60W lightbulb
on the output to more than full brightness (also with about 65W input since
the actual ouput was about 160V).  It seems the topology functions exactly
as the original PDF document (linked on my site) suggested it would.  Also,
i did a small test for voltage self-balancing, it was evident that no
half-bridge unit saw more than the input voltage... great!  I cant scope
the output of the inverters when running this high of power since at 140VAC
input, there is theoretically 800V on the output (my scope would fry).
Maybe i will make a voltage divider and scope the output to find if the
topology is still working as planned even at the higher power levels.

Steve Ward