Re: Magnifier Primary Capacitors - EQUIDRIVE vs. STANDARD

Original poster: Ian Macky <ian.macky-at-oracle-dot-com>

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "gtyler" <gtyler-at-drummond-dot-org.za>
 >
 > Some time ago I designed a 120 Kv SMPS for X-ray use. The transformer
 > and output rectifier was in oil in a molded glass-fibre box. If I ran it
 > with the lid off the oil would "jump" out the box at full voltage, and
 > circulate violently at a reduced voltage. A materials science professor
 > from a local university was also involved in the project and even he
 > could not explain why this happened. Anyone have any ideas?

surely there is mere convection component too?  hotter oil rises to
the top; and might not uneven heating of submerged components cause
other oil circulation patterns?  how much heat is being dumped into
that oil?  perhaps a thermometer might tell something.  sounds like
the electrical effects dominate, but it's not a black/white world.