Re: Magnifier Primary Capacitors - EQUIDRIVE vs. STANDARD

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "gtyler" <gtyler-at-drummond-dot-org.za>
>Some time ago I designed a 120 Kv SMPS for X-ray use. The transformer
>and output rectifier was in oil in a molded glass-fibre box. If I ran it
>with the lid off the oil would "jump" out the box at full voltage, and
>circulate violently at a reduced voltage. A materials science professor
>from a local university was also involved in the project and even he
>could not explain why this happened. Anyone have any ideas?
>George
>  > Fascinating!!  Oil can "flow around" and re-deposit charges as needed
>  > neutralize things...  So cool!!!!
>
>.

Hi George,

This phenomenon is called electrohydrodynamic flow. It's similar to ionic
wind seen in air, and results from the transfer of charge into the
insulating liquid. Dielectric fluids are "propelled" away from the regions
of high stress into regions of lower stress. In the process, the fluid at
the electrode-fluid boundary becomes electrostatically charged, repelled,
carrying excess charge away from the boundary.

As charge is carried away it forms regions of space charge that alter the
overall charge distribution within the dielectric fluid. And under the
influence of very high E-fields, fluids can actually form high velocity
jets, and spherical droplets can shed excess charge by ejecting  a jet of
small droplets.

While this phenomenon appears to be beneficial for equalizing stresses
across capacitor modules in a pulse cap, it can have undesirable
consequences within high voltage transformers. As Dr. Resonance indicated,
thermally and E-field driven flow of electrically charged oil has lead to
long-term insulation damage and failure in large power transformers.

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP