Re: Secondary size

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/16/04 11:32:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>John:
>OK maybe I missed some of what you were telling me out of frustration
>from all the just do this answers.
>
>I know this is not a formula per say but it is nice to have a response
>with examples and then an observation of those examples that makes some
>sense.
>Thank you for the input.
>
>And thanx for humoring me and my relentless questioning on the subject.

No problem.   Also I forgot to mention that the heights I mentioned are
near *minimum* workable heights based on experience, although
I guess that could have been deduced from my comments.  I don't
recommend using a height that close to coil breakdown.  For
example for a 42" spark at 120 bps, I generally use a coil from
19" tall to 24" tall.  For a 15/60 NST I'd probably use a 6" x 27"
tall coil at 120 bps.  Much of these height decisions, etc., are based
on practical knowledge of what produces a good, well behaved,
reliable coil.   Also if the coil is too short, sparks are likely
to strike down and hit the primary.  At which height this occurs
will depend on many factors for a given input power...  Factors such
as toroid diameter, primary diameter, toroid height, breakrate, etc.
Some folks may prefer that the sparks hit the primary at times,
if so then that must be taken into account also.

John