Re: HELP WIRING NST PLEASE WEIRD

Original poster: Christoph Bohr <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello Ravi.

 >I will make sure to ground myself before touching
 > anything

This sounds not like a good idea. You make yourself an attractive way for the
current to choose. I don't know f you are referring to that kind of
antistatic groundiing you use when handlyn sensitive semiconductors. These
have usually a high resistance to ground to limit the current.
I think the "one Hand in the pocket" rule applies here more, though with most
areas of a tesla coil this won't help you either...just don't touch ;-)

 > and discharging everything with a grounded rod attatched to a
 > pipe.

Thats much better, remember not only to ground the circuits before approching
but make sure they stay gounded all the time you work on you coil. Caps can
regain electrical energy from the energy stored in the molecular structure of
the dielectric material ( roughly speaking ). A check list might be of use, I
mave so procedures I allways follow, this reduces the chance of forgetting
something.

 > Believe me i do n ot want to die, so could you guys gimme a few more
 > pointers on how not to get killed?

There is a document on safety somewhere in the archives, this gives apretty
good impression of what can happen and the precautions. I can strongly
recommend reading this.

 >On the internet i saw pics. of 12 people
 > holding hands and the first guy touching  a streamer directly and the light
 > in the last guys hand lighting up? Is this possible?

Under very special circumstances it obviously is, but it is nevertheless
dangerous.

 > Can i touh the
 > streamers?

Although this could be a long discussion I'll give a short answer.

NO!

Thats for now, you may change your mind some day but at this point you can't
go wrong with "NO"

 > I heard the RF burns bad and blows holes in arteries and veins!

Thats only one thing that could happen and depends on a lot of things like the
power of the coil and how you come in contact.
Remeber the streamers could connect to the primary or any exposed wiring and
add full line voltage to the streamer you touch. That's like touching the
house wiring directly....

After all it's good to see that you spend time on thinking about safety.

Successfull and safe coiling!

Sincerely

Christoph Bohr