Re: Sources for MOTs

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <neko4-at-dodo-dot-com.au>

na, ya don't need a licence mate :)  I used to go in the car with my mum at
night with a spotlight collecting stuff. Now I just strap the appliances
onto the back of my bike and cycle home. I get strange looks, but meh ;) I
have a licence, but I think cars are stupid. Bt I won't get into a rant ;)

Don;t feel bad about throwing the microwave out, we all do silly things ;)
I chucked a graphics tablet out a year ago becasue I thought it had an
intermittant fault. I only found out last week it was my USB ports which
were at fault ;)

Theres a whole lot of other fun stuff in microwave ovens besides the
transformer. BEsides the components, open the magnetron (i used an axe) and
check out the large magnets :D put both of them together and magnadoodle on
your monitor, or write a romantic message on your girl/boy friend's
screen  for valentines day ;) Or totally magnetise your neighbours monitor
while they arent looking, and collect their monitor from the next council
pickup. You can fix it by attaching a  powerful magent to a drill, spinning
it and slowly moving the magnet away from the screen while its spinning :)

You said you aren't 16 yet. That worries me. Witrhout wanting to patronise
yo ( im only 17), I just want to remind you of some safety issues:

You might find a big charged capacitor in the microwave. this is Very
Nasty. Discharge it with an INSULATED screwdriver. Wear eye protection,
because metal may fly. When you have your transformer, and you've plugged
it in, under no circumstances touch it, or especially not manipulate the
output wires to get an arc. The electricity will jump to you, and you will
freeze up. If your lucky, you'll sprain several muscles, break a couple of
bones and defecate in your pants. I hope you have some prior high voltage
experience :/ microwave oven transformers are very bad to start with.
Flybacks are the way to go.

If you want, you can position the electrodes near each other, and then
switch the transformer on. THis will cause a brilliant arc. Under no
circumstances

- DO this for more than a few seconds

- Look at the arc and have skin exposed. You can look at the arc with *arc*
welding goggles, but thats it. Ultra violet radiation comes in 3 frequency
bands, A, B, and C. THere is always a lot of A around. Its blocked to some
extent by the oxone layer, but its pretty much harmless for all intents and
purposes. Disco UV lights emit UVA. UVB is dangerous. This will give you a
tan and sunburn, and damage your eyes. UVB is blocked by the ozone 'layer'.
We don't get any UVC on earth, its blocked by the atmosphere itself, but
its the most dangerous of them all. ITs often called "short wave UV" Your
arc, and your spark gap when you make it, will produce lots of UVA, B, and
C. Be very careful. '

If you have any more questions, please ask  :)