Re: joules confusion sort of

Hi Luke,

The true enery per bang will be 1/2 * CV^2.  The 900/120 estimate assumes a
power factor of 1.0 and a Cp that results in 120 BPS.  The 15KV * 60ma is
the VA rating of the NST and calling it a 900 watt transformer is probably a
misnomer.  The actual power from the NST will be power = VA * power factor.
The power factor (and I'm not talking about PF correction) is dependent on
the type of spark gap (static vs sync rotary).  I think one needs to think
(in the context of static gaps) of a PF of ~0.5.  Static gaps can not take
advantage of the energy stored in the inductance of the NST (aka inductive
kick) like SRSG's can.  Note that 1.6 * Cres with a static gap gives about
120 BPS.  With a SRSG at 120 BPS (called pps as in presentations per secend)
and timed right, a Cp of 3.2 * Cres can be almost fully charged (hence
approximately 900 watts are can be processed.

Gerry R