From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 1:29 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: breakout voltage

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
  >
  > If this one is for DC voltages
  > May I ask what formula you use for the break out voltage of a toroid
on
  > a TC.

Breakout is a phenomenon that happens in the nanosecond scale, so
anything up to a few hundreds of MHz is "DC" in this case.
This story about breakdown voltage changing with frequency is a myth.
What happens is that in an AC system, -after- the first breakout,
the next ones usually require smaller voltages, because there is
remaining hot, or maybe ionized, air remaining from the last breakout,
and this effectively adds "points" to the original surface, where
breakout starts sooner.

  > Assuming all is perfect, shape smoothness etc.  and im not looking
for
  > the most refined formula just like a basic one that gets me in the
  > football field.

The ideal formula can be found in a post by Godfrey Loudner in
last December 23. The subject was "Spheres on toroids". See also
my document:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/capcalc.pdf

Someone could try to derive an approximation for the "effective
curvature" of a toroid.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz