Re: The resonance research "monster" NST

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"It's only no problem when those appliances have been DESIGNED
for 50/60 Hz operation (as mentioned on their type plates).
A properly designed (not OVERdesigned) 60 Hz transformer will
either fry when operated under load at 50 Hz or, at best, not
be able to deliver it's full load.

Rob Maas"

	A very good point.  I had that (60 Hz transformer burned up on 50 Hz)
happen to me back in 1947.  I  was living in the Washington, DC area and
someone built me a beautiful hypersil-cored transformer for a TV
receiver I built.  (Two stations only in those days!)  Anyhow, I moved
to Altadena, California and fired the set up.  Worked beautifully for
about an hour and then I smelled something hot.  Turned out that, at the
time, the Edison company was still delivering 50 Hz power to that part
of town and the transformer core had saturated enough to overheat
fatally.  Poor transformer was neatly encapsulated in plastic,  which
burned for hours from the inside out.  Total loss.  This was a case
where the transformer was designed to use the full flux density
capability of the core on 60 Hz and the extra 20% required for 50 Hz had
saturated it pretty badly.  I think of this incident every time someone
posts about running a 120 V NST on 140V+, or even 220 volts!

	Watch that core saturation.

Ed