MOTs in Oil [was: MOT coil does not light]

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Finn Hammer wrote in response to Aron Aab's mail:
<snip>
>Stop whining about getting your fingers into oil. You put it there, so set
>it right and move on. (been there, done that :-)
</snip>

There is a simple alternative to an arrangement where oil has to be drained:

1) Take tank of oil
2) Fabricate strong lid with lifting shackles
3) Attach transformer(s) to underside of lid, so that they will be immersed
when lid is fitted.

If you then need to service/troubleshoot the transformer(s), all you have
to do is lift the lid, say with a small block and tackle, and suspend it
over the tank to drip for a while whilst you can be doing something else,
like making a coffee, etc.

This technique also allows you to use an over-sized tank (which could be on
castors - all my heavy stuff is getting wheels as my back gets no younger)
which  can allow improved run-times through extra cooling capacity.  If you
are using MOTs, you can recycle the turntable motor to drive an agitator
(MO cooling fan) to keep the oil moving.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy