RE: The resonance research "monster" NST

Original poster: "Philip Chalk" <phil-at-apsecurity-dot-com.au>

Hi all,

I have no direct experience of this, but I suspect that Marketing &
Globalisation (yech!) play a part in the answer.

I'm guessing that lots of high-demand consumer electrical appliances
(e.g. MWOs) are manufactured in ??? (often Asia somewhere) for a
basically global market.  The factory probably doesn't even know where
some of their stuff will end up.

Therefore even though they would love to economise on both copper &
iron, warranty returns are not only a hassle, they eat into
profit-margins, so perhaps they design much of this to be comfortable at
both frequencies. (Maybe they design for 55, or 57.389714 Hz ( :-), so
they run warm in some countries & HOT in others ? )

Just a thought......

Phil Chalk.

  > It's only no problem when those appliances have been
  > DESIGNED
  > for 50/60 Hz operation (as mentioned on their type
  > plates).
  > A properly designed (not OVERdesigned) 60 Hz
  > transformer will
  > either fry when operated under load at 50 Hz or, at
  > best, not
  > be able to deliver it's full load.
  >
  > Rob Maas

I can only relate my own experiences as a resident of
the United Kingdom for 4 years. My 60Hz yank
appliances, power tools, sound system, etc., worked
just fine on 50Hz current with no problems. My
television sets wouldn't work, but this was a
synchronization problem, and their exposure to 50Hz
did them no harm. Likewise, my experiments with a
Transco 60Hz NST and a collection of 120vac/60Hz MOTs
were uneventful. Even the MOTs, which supposedly skimp
on both iron and copper to save cost, and run at the
edge of saturation, behaved normally at 50Hz. I stand
by my earlier statements. I predict 60Hz NSTs will
handle 50Hz current without any trouble.

=====
Gregory R. Hunter

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

_