Re: Over Saturation?

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Randy,

In my book, the term "over saturation" is bordering on being bogus.
The right term to use is "saturation", plain and simple.
(Though, being related to magnetism, _really simple_ it never gets)

In a transformer, the current passing trough the windings create a magnetic
flux in the core. The density of this flux is measured in Tesla.

Iron without much carbon in it is capable of supporting about 2.1 Tesla, a
mix of 50% iron and 50% cobalt, called permendure, will allow 2.4 Tesla to
pass. Typical silicon laced iron transformer laminations will start to
saturate at 1.7 Tesla .

Try to go any higher, and the permeability of the iron material gradually,
but rapidly decreases to near that of air. Permeability drops => Inductance
drops, Current skyrockets.

The way to provoke saturation is to apply more volts per turn than the
transformer is able to handle. The amount of volts per turn tolerated, is
largely determined by the size of the core cross section.

Stick to "saturation", and you`l be all right.

Cheers, Finn Hammer