Re: SSTC theory

Original poster: "Bob \(R.A.\) Jones" <a1accounting-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Response to Antonio and Steve C.

I don't have much of a handle on Antonio's method either. Best I can do is
that the burst time relates to the step response and the step response is
related to the bandwidth of a filter so by picking a particular filter
type,  a Butterworth, then using filter theory it can be solved. In a
master oscillator configuration some insensitivity to frequency is required
whether the flatness of a Butterworth is too flat I don't know.  However a
feedback driven system and in particular a drive current feedback  would be
more tolerant.

  I now believe that during the build up the input will only appear
resistive if its driven at the center frequency and in phase with the
transient. My initial reaction to this is it is at the minimum in the
voltage gain but may be compensated for by changing the turns ratio. If its
soft switching we want we have no other option.

I think the reason my design parameters did not work well is that I had
fixed the frequency. I think frequency must be reduced so that with
reasonable coupling factors the time to the max energy is sufficiently long
to get the required energy in.  Ss you suggest  peak current could also be
increased.  I assume its a design trade off between long lower current low
frequency burst and high current shorter higher frequency burst.

Or putting it an other way for a given peak current and bang energy the
burst length is determined which then fixes the maximum frequency.

Bob Jones