Re: Phase controller question. Final success

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>John,
>
>I think you might be right on with that.  I have my 3" coil running with a
>12 kv 60 ma transformer, .017 ufd primary cap and a new small sync rotary
>that I built.  I get close to the same spark length with the rotary as I
>did the static gap but the coil performs much better with the static
>gap.  More sparks, longer and thicker.  Maybe I need a larger cap to get
>the best permormance out of the rotary.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Ed, Christoph,

Gary Lau is using 0.04uF with his 15/60 NST now that he installed
a 120 bps sync rotary.  He was able to increase the cap value
from the original 0.02uF that he used with the static gap.  The
static gap setup gave 60" sparks and the sync rotary gives 66"
sparks.  Gary's NST may be more robust than a typical one.

To Christoph; If your cap value was rather small for the system,
then the static gap may have been running at a rather high
breakrate.  This means the bang size would have been
smaller (smaller bang energy but more bangs).  Smaller
bang size means quieter operation.  So this may be at least
part of the explanation for the loudness of the sync gap.
Also, if your rotary gap electrode spacing is wide, this may
make the gap louder too, and may increase the losses,
and reduce the performance of the system.  Triggered 120
bps sync gaps for example tend to be very loud, much
louder than a rotary.  I assume this is due to the longer gap arc
distance and greater losses.

John