Re: Quarter Wavelength Frequency

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui-at-emich.edu>

Hello my name is Jared Dwarshuis and my friend?s name is Lawrence
Morris. We have been experimenting with wire length resonance (as well
as two part resonant transformer designs). We have found that matching
wire length to L.C. is critical to the operation of our integer
wavelength coils.

We use an inductor that is wrapped around a donut or toroidal form,
because this inductor has no ends. It is the closest possible fit to
the derivation of the classic inductor formulae L = uo Nsqrd Area/
length. Because we have formed our inductor from a single loop of wire
we have a boundary constraint, this coil can now only form integer
wavelengths which it does very nicely, at even multiples of the
fundamental wire length frequency.

It may be the case that cylindrical coils can deviate enough from the
ideal inductance formulae to cause discrepancies between wire length
and L.C. resonance, or perhaps current nodes are not exactly where
people think they are, and this has lead people to believe that wire
length has no significance (an understandable mistake).

When we match the L.C. frequency to the wire length frequency we
believe that it minimizes interference between the two distinct
resonant energy storing mechanisms. Clearly L.C. resonance occurs in
systems that ignore wire length (such as the primary inductor), but
when the wire length is also considered in design, the dynamics change.
Our experiments indicated that it was impossible to find a top end
capacitor pair that would kill the wire length resonance entirely, so
we are inclined to believe that when your primary is tuned to the wire
length, the wire length resonance will be the dominant energy storing
mechanism.

Check out http://people.emich.edu/jdwarshui/ to see our articles
describing the above in greater detail.  We would be happy to respond
to polite inquiries on these matters. If you are a serious coiler
living near Southeastern Michigan or just a local kid and would like to
see the Levi?s configuration in operation, send us an e-mail
jdwarshuis-at-emich.edu.