Re: Quarter Wavelength Frequency

Original poster: Paul Nicholson <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Jared E Dwarshuis wrote:

 > When we match the L.C. frequency to the wire length frequency
 > we believe that it minimizes interference between the two
 > distinct resonant energy storing mechanisms.

This isn't very clear - could you say what you mean by 'two distinct
resonant energy storing mechanisms'?

 > Clearly L.C. resonance occurs in systems that ignore wire length
 > (such as the primary inductor), but when the wire length is also
 > considered in design, the dynamics change.

We're getting the impression that you're treating 'wire length
resonance' and 'LC resonance' as two different physical resonant
behaviours, rather than simply alternative descriptions of the
same phenomena.

I looked on your website for comparisons of measured resonant
frequency against the prediction light_speed/wire_length, but
could not find anything.  We would not expect the velocity
factor 'along the wire' of the toroidal coil to be unity,
which your web site notes seem to take as an assumption.

Or is it that you are *selecting* coils which happen to
have unity velocity factor, in order to achieve some
special effect?   Please clarify.

It would be interesting to know what the measured velocity factor
is, for each resonant mode.  Absence of end effects simplifies
things but there should still be a fair amount of dispersion.

Please give us details of the mode spectrum of your test
coil.  It should not be qualitatively different from a short-
circuited straight solenoid.
--
Paul Nicholson