Re: measuring the resonant frequency of the secondary

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Anthony" <ant17-at-optushome-dot-com.au>
 >
 > hi guys i hoping you could help me i have my sstc secondary and primary
 > hooked up to signal genorator and i am trying to measure the resonant
 > frequency of it by having the primary hooked up to the sig gen and my
 > oscilloscope probe on the toroid and then checking for peaks in the
 > waveform becasue i think you should see ringing peaks in the waveform
 > question is am i on the right track or not if you could help i would be
 > greatful

If everything is correctly assembled, you will see two peaks, one
above and other below the natural resonance frequency of the
secondary alone.
The primary circuit shall have a capacitor in series, and be tuned
to a frequency slightly smaller than the secondary resonance
frequency.
You have to use a signal generator with very low output impedance to
see the peaks cleary. A simple possibility is to connect a 1 Ohm
resistor across the output of a 50 Ohms generator. The signal becomes
small, however, and the measurement may be noisy.

Take a look at my page about the "theory of sstcs":
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/sstc.html
A design program is available too.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz