Marx Generator Article, Spark Length

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Interesting article, the home-brew triggered gap is especially neat. Marx
Generators have traditionally faired poorly against Tesla Coils
in terms of raw spark length, since their slow firing rates squelch
the wonderful shot-to-shot buildup that Tesla Coils enjoy.
Replacing the sparkgaps and charging resistors with solid-state switches
however might allow the Marx Bank to be a serious contender in the
'arc-length vs power' arena.  Solid-state switching would allow the Marx
to run well up into the 100's of  Hz, allowing exploitation of the shot-to-shot
buildup effect.  Below is a link to some recent prototype development work
towards this end:

http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esd/PESC04_Paper.pdf

A 550kV[peak] coil [the 120L50K at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard] can
generate about a 25' arc at 360 BPS.  I'm keen to find out what a 500kV
Marx Bank can do at the same rep rate into a suitably elevated electrode.

-GL