Re: An Electrolytic ground plane

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>

All:

After some thought regarding this DeoxIt and conversations with some
advanced coilers, I've been forced to start from scratch and need some
advise on constructing the best possible electrolytic rf ground
plane.  I've got an 8 foot copper clad rod driven into the ground about 4
feet from the coil in question.  I do soak the area with water and Bob
Svangren suggested digging around the rod and burying rock salt which will
leach further down into the soil.  Are there any metallic salts or ??? that
will be more effective than rock salt?  If I can figure out how to
transport a few 8 foot ground rods in my Jag I'm going to add two more this
weekend and will solder them together with wide strips of cu or 1/2" cu pipe.

Here's another real basic question that I'm remiss in not knowing but what
is the best test to determine the 'quality' of said ground plane?  Only
after this tested 'upgrade' can I then feel comfortable in testing the DeoxIt.
John