Re: Needed 240v to 480v Transformer.

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes-at-silicon-arcana-dot-com>

480V dry-type distribution transformers are absolutely
everywhere on eBay.  Restrict the search to your
locality and you may even find one you can go pick up
today!  ...but they're often expensive, often
three-phase, and often MUCH larger than 10kVA.

However, there is a 10kVA unit on eBay right now:
http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42881&item=3827440387&rd=1

...but is your transformer LV side center-tapped?  I
don't know about 480V pigs (that's what you have,
yes?), but most 240V pigs actually have two separate
120V windings that are placed in series to achieve the
240V (so "center-tapped" is not really descriptive of
reality).  These can easily be reconfigured with the
120V windings in *parallel* to allow for a single 120V
connection without derating the power.  The nameplate
will generally show the different configurations of
the LV leads if this is possible.  Even if you just
have 480V output, you may take a look inside (if you
haven't already) to see how the windings are
connected.  Perhaps you would still find two 240V
windings soldered together in series.  Even in that
case, I'd prefer breaking the connection and doing a
little of my own soldering to dealing with *two* big
transformers at once!

Regards,
Aaron