Re: Equivalent lumped inductance and toroidal coils

Original poster: Bart Anderson <tesla111-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hi Paul,

I think the approximation should read:
Ldc~= mu * N^2 * rt^2/(2*r1)

I ran this with low and high turns and with a few different tube dimensions
against:
Ldc = mu * N2 * (r1 - sqrt(r12 - rt2)) - mu * r1 * N * (1.2 - ln(pm/rc) + H)

The two equations followed about (+/-)1mH difference. I let the inner and
outer pitch values be calc'd from the turns, conductor, and tube dimensions
by using the inner and outer tube lengths. As long as there are no inner
conductor overlaps or tube overlaps, the approximation followed as
expected. I notice error increases with spacing between adjacent turns and
when tube width is small compared to overall diameter, however, low
inductance values didn't seem to cause much of an affect as long as
dimensional ratios were kept in bounds.

As for the Ldc toroidal formula, the results look good. Your right, time
for measurement and verification. If I get the itch to wind a toroidal
coil, is there an approximate dimension desired (24 awg). Also, is aircore
preferred over say a foam core?

Take care,
Bart