Re: Super Small SSTC (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:59:43 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Super Small SSTC

In a message dated 7/16/04 9:29:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hmmm, this is looking conceptually an awful lot like a RF power source
>  driving a resonant circuit.

    And how is that different from a Tesla Magnifier? Does the RF power
source have to be an inductively-coupled resonant circuit to make a TC a TC?
Wouldn't that exclude some simple SSTC's?

>    Along the same lines.. Is a
>  flyback with a needle point shooting corona a tesla coil?

    So what *IS* the exact definition of a Tesla Coil these days?
    If I was to arbitrarily define a TC as:

    "A device designed to produce high-voltage alternating-current discharges
from a low-voltage power source by exciting the resonant mode of the output
stage,"

    that includes every topology I can think of. Including flybacks (if they
are used to make sparks).
    How's that?

-Phil LaBudde