Re: quarter wave

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

A comment if I may be permitted:

On 15 Jul 2004, at 22:50, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui-at-emich.edu>
 >
 > There was a question out there involving the location of current
 > nodes.
 >   We were curious about this ourselves and produced a fully enclosed
 > primary for our prototype Saskia coil. Fully enclosed primaries do
 > function (at least for a full wave), but we saw no performance
 > advantage over multiple primaries. (multiple as in one primary per
 > current node). We elected to skip the second primary for our large
 > coil, it was already difficult loading the coil in the car and we
 > didn?t want to lose our portability.
<snip>

 > Mr. Nicholson:   We made no previous claims about properties of
 > materials per se, if an E.M. wave appears to travel slower than the
 > speed of light then you are not accounting for the actual path length.

That is like saying that light is somehow travelling in a circuitous
path in a refractive medium is it not? Is it not possible that the
medium created by winding the wire up really has different properties
to free space? or does light really travel in a well defined less-
than-direct path in a homogeneous transmission medium?

Malcolm
<snip>