Re: Super Small SSTC

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

Jim,
You're presenting your opinion as fact.  I would argue that in a strict
sense a Tesla coil (as it bears the creators name) is what we think of a
conventional spark gap coil - a transformer charges a capacitor which
discharges into an inductor which is coupled to a second coil.  The
ringdown of the primary circuit one of the defining qualites of a Tesla
coil, IMO.  Just because we are driving an air cored coil at resonance
creating a high voltage output doesn't make it a Tesla coil, it may
provide similar functions as a Tesla coil, but just because the results
are the same doesn't mean they are the same thing.  My point really is
that there isn't a solid definition of a Tesla coil.

As for ISSTCs, they do have a resonant primary, but it's operations isn't
pulse discharge driven - it actually functions more like a SGTC reversed
in time - start with small magnitude and add more energy so the amplitude
builds.  I don't know that there's a particular classification for any
type of coil, but you can make an argument for categorization either way.

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL