Re: DC Spark gap coils, why not current limit on the LV AC side?

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Actually, the circuit would work just fine as a resonant charger with the
inductor in the primary circuit -- complete with the desired voltage
doubling on the load capacitor.

In many ways it would be an advantage to place the inductor in the lower
voltage primary circuit.  The disadvantage to this scheme however would be
the voltage overload seen by both the primary and secondary coils of the HV
transformer -- both would suffer a 2x voltage stress during the resonant
charging cycle.

Locating the inductor after the rectifiers places the 2x stress solely on
the rectifiers, thus relieving the transformer.

-GL