Re: DC Spark gap coils, why not current limit on the LV AC side?

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

Eric:  DC coil acts differently from an AC coil. When the gap fires a dc
short circuit is sent through the diodes to the filter cap power source
blowing the diodes. A simple solucion is to add a disconect coil just after
the diodes to isolate the diodes from the short circuit. A very low
inductance will not affect your circuit, but will protect the diodes.  I use
a high voltage coil made of  15 turns of house wire 1 inch dia and 6 inch
long air core with no coil form . quick and easy. For long term use I wind a
toroid coil of high voltage wire wound on a large toroid core such as the
ferrite core of a deflection coil of a TV monitor. Good luck
     Robert    H