Re: TC & Lightning

Original poster: davep-at-quik-dot-com

 > kite on a piece of #24 enamel coated copper wire about 150 ft of wire
 > attached to the end of a florescent light bulb that was stuck in the
 > ground. The storm was about 10 miles away and every time there was
 > lighting in! the storm the florescent light bulb would flash. As the
 > storm got closer and closer the light bulb flashed brighter and
 > brighter. When the storm was about 3 miles away the light bulb glowed
 > all the time. That is very interesting because that is exactly what the
 > Tesla Coil does. The storm got closer, the wind picked up, the kite
 > crashed, it started to rain and I went in the house.
     While entertaining, even instructive, this is a good way to
     get killed.

     Lighting flashes can and do occur (and kill people)
     well away from the storm.

     (yes people launch rockets with trailing wires, for research.
        REMOTELY.

     And there is the phto taken by a professional atorm/lightning
     photographer.  Using a 'robot' (automatic) cameara he tried to
     catch himself phtographing the storm.  And One Frame from the
     robot cam Showed a 4' 'streamer' BEHIND him as he worked.
     Could have been a real bolt and he'd have been real dead.)

     (there is some question as to exactly what Franjkin did, and how.
      There is no question he was at serious risk doing it.)

      best
       dwp