Re: TC & Lightning

Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Hi Ed,

We used a storm scope on our aircraft.  It uses ADF techniques to
determine
direction and intensity to determine distance.  A very useful instrument
short of radar.

Gerry R."

	The technique goes way, way back.  Watson-Watt, who very modestly
claims to be the inventor of radar, was using early CRT's at NPL in
England in the early 1920's for that very purpose.  It was that work
which apparently led him into radar later.

Ed