Newby

Original poster: "Michael Brooks" <mbrooks-at-perrytech.edu>

Greetings to all,

I have just recently signed up for the list and am a bit overwhelmed to say
the least.
I am in the infancy stages of coiling and have a question.(one of a million
no doubt)
I noticed that in coil calcs you are trying for a resonant circuit.
As part of the curriculum I teach I use a trigonomic method of determining
the size of cap needed to bring a motor to whatever power factor the
electric utility requires (95% currently in my neck of the woods)
Using a watt meter to determine the motors real power draw and a simple
line voltage and current measurement for apparent power then plugging them
into pythagorean's theorem to determine the inductive reactance of the load.
 From there the "new VA" can be determined for whatever PF is required and
then plugged back into the theorem to find the remaining "uncorrected"
varsL.  Subtracting the two inductive values results in the capacitive
reactance required to effect the desired change.  Ohms Law takes care of
finding the Xc needed to size the cap.

Is this similar of the same as the calcs you may be using to get to reasonance?
Thank you in advance

Michael Brooks
mbrooks-at-perrytech.edu