RE: THOR Bang energy vs. streamer length measured

Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Thanks to all you guys for your feedback and support. I cancelled my
sorrow and meditation trip to the Himalayan peak :)

 > However, it would be great if you went that little bit
 > further :) The $64000 question for many coilers is:
 >
 > "What combination of bang energy and break rate will make my
 > coil produce the biggest sparks for a given input power"

Well, I haven't gone down below 200 Hz but from 200 to 400 Hz it goes at
follows.
The BPS won't affect sparks length. For real! You will achieve much more
often a certain distance with a higher BPS (see my 10.7J case) and will
reach a top hit% dependent on your bang energy but that's it.
The typical disruptive TC run (turn TC on, see if the grounded rod is
hit) will not be modified! Eventually the streamer will get there if it
can. Maybe with an higher BPS it will get there within 0.3 s instead
than within 1 s. That's all.

I believe there is a minimum BPS below which also the reached distance
is affected but that has to be pretty low, if you consider that even
bangs at 0.1 Hz (!) affect each other.

 > You could probably extract the answer from your existing
 > database without doing any more experimental work. You can
 > just pick data sets that correspond to the same input power
 > (eg, 8J 200BPS, 4J 400BPS, etc) and for each of these, use
 > the distribution function to find the estimated once-a-minute
 > spark length.
 >
 > (example: at 400bps, the once a minute spark has a
 > probability of 1 in 24000. using the weibull function that
 > you fitted to your data points, you should be able to find
 > the spark length corresponding to this probability)
 >
 > Steve Conner
 > http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/

Ok. For instance with 10.7J, from Fig.3 I need an average of 13 bangs to
reach 1.6 meters.
 From Fig.5 at 250 BPS I had 56% hit rate. That is a hit every
13/(250*0.56)=93 ms.
At 350 BPS I had a 75% hit rate, that is a hit every 13/(350*0.75)=49
ms.
You can hardly notice the difference.

Lesson learnt is: better to maximize bang energy than bang rate.

Best Regards