RE: TC & Lightning

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 26 Jul 2004, at 13:00, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
 >
 >  >[+]  Imagine trying to do this process in reverse: Start with a >TC
 >  made to have a suitable pattern of dispersion.  Send in a >CW burst
 >  having a swept frequency (a chirp) carefully chosen so >that the
 >  entire chirp (and therefore all the burst energy) is >concentrated by
 >  the dispersion into a single pulse at the far >end of the coil.
 >
 > Well, we have the technology ;) With solid state inverter stuff we can
 > quite easily generate pretty much any kind of FM/chirp thing you
 > fancy, at peak powers over 100kW.
 >
 > But I can't imagine how you would make a physical TC resonator that
 > had a dispersion pattern that was useful for pulse compression. Can
 > you?
 >
 > Steve C.

An interesting question. Perhaps it might be worth looking over the
odd article on light pulse compression and hunting for analogues
which could be applied to the electrical world. If time permits and I
remember, I'll have ahunt through some Sci Am's next time I'm down in
the library.

Malcolm