RE: THOR Bang energy vs. streamer length measured

Hi Marco,

At 01:14 AM 7/28/2004, you wrote:

> > One of us with OLTCs could test this too if we could control
> > the primary cap voltage equal for a wide variety of break
> > rates.  Mine is resonant charged, so I can't do it right off.
> >
> > Power is proportional to BPS so one would have to back off
> > the voltage to compensate for the increasing BPS...
>(SNIP)
> >          Terry
> >

>No, no. Forget about the power. Keep the bang ENERGY (i.e. cap voltage)
>constant, just vary the BPS. That's the idea.
>
>Best Regards

It would not be hard just to run the OLTC off a commercial medium voltage
DC power supply as long as E-bay has one...  They are sort of rare and
nobody wants to sell the nice ones (Xantrex) ;-)

I was thinking that if I charge say a 10uF cap to 200 volts, then the bang
energy would be  0.2 joules.  At say 100 BPS the coil input power would be
20 watts.  At 1000 BPS it would be 200 watts...  So the streamer length
would naturally increase just due to the higher input power.

However, if at 1000BPS, I ran the cap voltage at 63.25 volts, the power
would still be 20 watts input.  Then, any increase in streamer length would
be just due to the change in BPS.

Then you could have a streamer length Vs. BPS graph of a coil with a
constant input power.  Such a graph would just show the effects of BPS on
streamer length.  One would have to account for some losses and switching
voltage drops...

Does this sound reasonable??

It would be easy to do the constant cap voltage test too...

I will try and determine what size power supply would be best and see if I
can find one cheap...

Cheers,

         Terry