Re: SSTC vs SPTC was ( Re: NSTand PT replacement xmfrs)

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Dan -

Thanks for the info regarding your Tesla coil tests. I believe you have done
a great job in advancing the design of Tesla coils especially the SSTC. You
not only have advanced the TC technology you have also the ability to build
well crafted devices.

The best way to make comparisons is to test real coils. Simulations can
account for only a few of the many variables involved. The three most
important parameters in the tests are the TC Power, TC energy, and the TC
Overall Efficiency. Note that in an AC circuit the power is normally called
the average power. The RMS power has no significance. Refer to an EE book or
Physics book. The RMS voltage and current are based on energy conditions.

Power has to do with instantaneous conditions. Because of the complex
circuitry and unique operation of Tesla coils it is difficult to properly
test  for instantaneous conditions.  The proper method of comparing Tesla
coils is to compare the overall energy efficiency of the coils.

John Couture