Re: Rotary SG Safety

A good safety lesson here.

Why not use a 1725 or 3450 fixed RPM motor to start with?  A 1/2 hp motor
with a 1/2 thick G-10 rotor and 10 electrodes will get the job done.  Never
use Lexan and never run a rotor at 6,000 RPM!

Many experimenters, on a budget, use a small cheap motor and handcraft their
own RSG without the aid of an experienced machine shop.

A typical visit to a US hospital small town emergency room is around
$3,000.00 and that's only the beginning.  A machine shop might charge you
$500-$600 for a high quality RSG but that's a bargain compared to the
$3,000.00 that starts when you walk or are carried in the ER.

Oh, and that's only the ER fee to enter the ER.  A doctor/surgeon will
charge you another $3,000 to remove the embedded tungsten from your head, or
worse, eye socket --- the one where your eye was.

A high quality rotor made by an experienced machinist usually does not
require a shield.   We've made them for over 35 years and never had one
explode yet.  Even though we have a good lathe and mill, I always farm out
the rotors to a competent machinist who has been doing this part of our work
for over 2 decades.  His quality is unmatched.

To new coilers:  Use caution and common sense.  Have an accident with your
coil and your parents won't be so understanding the next time around.  Do it
right the first time.  Let a professional make your RSG rotors.
If you're on a tight budget, tell them.  Most small shops are willing to
work with you especially if you show them photos of your "neat project".

I've seen so many coilers that skimp in this area that it's truly scarry we
haven't, as a collective community, had more accidents.

Safety first --- always!   It's certainly not unbalanced rotors of Lexan
(softens with heat) and unbalanced acorn nuts running at 6,000 RPM.  You're
lucky.  This was an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913