Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Jim -

I don't think it is a matter of misunderstanding. However, it is a matter of
understanding the difference between power and enegy. Coilers have struggled
with these two words for many years. If with Steve's coil the input is under
4800 watts you have the same problems when using power units for rating
Tesla coils. That is why it is better to use energy when rating Tesla coils.
Refer to my reply to Gerry.

  The output power of Steve's coil as you say is very high 300KW. The ISSTC
may be very power efficient. In fact if the 4800 watts input and 300KW
output of  Steve's TC are correct the power efficiency is

          Power efficiency = output power / input power
                                    =  300 000 / 4800
                                    = 62.5

Tesla coils can have much greater power efficiencies than this. It is less
confusing to call this power gain. Use efficiency only with energy. Note
that energy is not involved when using power units so your "making energy"
is not a problem.

John Couture