Re: power v energy measurements, was Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Sean -

You do not have to agree with me to be right. As I mentioned before in the
past I have used the word "power" incorrectly. This is very easy to do and
it occurs in todays literature all the time. For example power cannot be
consumed. This is why electric power companies do not sell power, they sell
energy. Some coilers have said that the utility "demand charge" is selling
power. This is not correct. The demand charge is a rental charge for large
transformers and related switchgear.

"How do I propose to use energy?"  There are many possibilities. However, I
believe the best way to compare Tesla coils is to do it the energy way, not
the power way. I will give an example using a small coil I built and tested.
I don't have a SSTC to make a comparison  but I know there are many coilers
who have both types who could easily do the tests and make the comparison.

The tests consist of finding the TC input energy by connecting a wattmeter
to the input of the TC. This will give you input watts per second (joules).
You then turn up the variac so you have 120 watt seconds input and adjust
the spark output for a continuous 120 sparks per second. You will then have
120 watt seconds / 120 sparks per second giving you  "one joule per spark"
or "spark inches per joule of enrgy". I did this for my small TC and
obtained 8.25 inches per joule. If you perform this test with with any small
SPTC or SSTC you will have a fair energy comparison of the Tesla coils.
Of course the 120 sparks per second would have to be changed to the actual
number per second.

As I have mentioned in the past this leaves a lot to be desired and I am
open to all suggestions. When larger coils are tested you will find that the
"spark length per joule" is much shorter but there is a good reason for this
which can be discussed later.

This test also gives you some other interesting numbers about your TC. For
example with my coil I found the energy in the 12" toroid (about 13
picofarads) was 1 joule per spark. This gave me
          Secondary voltage = .5 x sqrt(joules/Cs)
                                       = .5 x sqrt(1joule  / 13^-12)
          Secondary voltage = 392 KV at 100% eff.
I assumed the secondary voltage eff was about 50% so the secondary voltage
was
          Secondary voltage = 392 x .5 = 196 KV

If I connected an ammeter to the ground wire of the secondary coil I would
get
           Secondary current = joules/voltage = 1/196000
            Secondary current = 5.1 ua
Note that this is the average (RMS) current in the secondary of my small
coil. The actual peak current would be much greater. If I found the average
current by test was larger I could then find the true secondary voltage
which would be higher than 196 KV.

You can find even more TC parameters if you use energy instead of power for
rating your coils.

John Couture