Re: power v energy measurements, was Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 23 Jun 2004, at 16:54, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation"
 > <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>
 >
 > This energy stuff is just going to far.  As a power engineer who
 > designs high power transmitters, high power and high voltage power
 > supplies, and a boatload of DC-DC converters, I have not once ever
 > heard anyone make a reference to energy.
 >
 > Its all about power!
 >
 > Dan

     Absolutely agree. All the appliances I've ever come across are
rated in units of power based on a figure such as continuous
consumption (e.g. light bulbs, heaters) or maximum (peak) power
consumption (e.g. audio amplifiers) when running from a more-or-less
fixed voltage (e.g. 240VAC mains). I find nothing confusing about
such ratings. For one thing, it tells me what fuse ratings should
apply.
     The power consumption of a Tesla Coil inevitably varies but
knowing that one can obtain several strikes of a certain length over
some nominated period of time without popping a breaker of a
particular current rating is the figure I'd consider relevant and
useful. I once made a statement about sparklength/energy rating, a
move I left behind years ago after developing a much deeper
understanding of the dynamics involved. The passage below reads like
a supreme exercise in obfuscation to me.

Malcolm