Re: power v energy measurements, was Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: Bart Anderson <tesla111-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hi All,

I too have taken the side of finding this topic pretty much useless. The
battle of power and energy comes up on the TCML far too often. There are
those here who just love to research the physics (I'm in that category),
yet others find that stuff boring. Even though I love the research, it is
clear we will never be able to compare coils one for one. The best we can
do as a "comparison" is simple average power measurements for a given spark
length (and maybe a few tid bits about break rates and losses). Efficiency
comparisons are not possible in this type of forum (as great as it is).
Those type of comparisons have to be performed in a controlled project
environment with the same engineers making comparisons with whatever units
of measure they choose to define. But not across a large forum like this.
There are just too many dynamics (and I'm not talking only of coil dynamics).

It is fun to read the posts however (kind of a love/hate thing).

Take care,
Bart