Re: Tool Question

Hi,

At 08:52 PM 6/25/2004, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Tonight, my Craftsman router puked a good sized fireball at me.  As it's
>30-40 years old, I'm going to replace it.  Any ideas on a good
>router.  I'm thinking about Porter Cable or DeWalt.

I like Dewalt and parts and info on the net are a bit easier to get if
needed.  Makita is nice if you want Japanese stuff...  Don't go to Harbor
Freight ;-))

>I have never seen a tougher job than routing UHMW.  Even carbide bits have
>a tough time on it.  It seems soft until you try to cut it.  Routing a
>primary form into a 3/4" sheet is easier said than done.  Should look cool
>when I get it done.

UMHW is like chewing gum.  4 million atom long molecules and stuff...  You
may actually be far better off with a simple tool steel "very aggressive -
super sharp" bit coated with light oil.  You have to "slice" it like a
razor...   It has 600+% elongation even at high velocity, so you are not
going to "tear" it...

Cheers,

         Terry