Air core flybacks, small flybacks and self resonance........

Original poster: "mercurus2000" <mercurus2000-at-cox-dot-net>

Hey, I was just tinkering around with some of my small flybacks that I
salvaged from some plasma globes, these have the core exposed and the core
can be removed, they're basically like a TV flyback but the primary is
wound for use with 12 volts. I recalling all those one transistor self
resonance circuits for flybacks and came to the (perhaps?) conclusion that
even with those self resonance circuits or even the timer controlled ones,
you might not be getting the maximum rise in voltage from the secondary in
that fasion, the self resonance circuits normally only resonant at the
resonant frequency of the primary correct? I thought that if you could
remove the core from these small plasma flybacks you could find the
harmonic of the self resonant frequency of the secondary and run the coil
at the frequency, giving the highest possible voltage gain, without having
to worry about the core saturating. Much like a solid state version of
Tesla's multilayer disruptive discharge coil in some of his patents. Or is
it when you tune a ferrite cored flyback to get the max spark you're
already doing this? Perhaps I'm completely wrong, and just too tired. :)
Adam