Re: power v energy measurements, was Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "john couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Gerry -

I agree that using sparks as an output load to compare any type of
electrical device is not very useful unless you do it properly. It would
make
much more engineering sense to use resistive loads to compare Tesla coils.
The problem with the resistors is that they are not spectacular enough
compared to a 10 ft spark. The resistors, however, give you a fixed amount
of load to work with.

I believe that John Freau's voltage/watt formula and the similar formula
used in my computer program should be used with caution. Both formulas are
based only on limited empirical data that sometimes appears to work under
limited conditions.

If I understand you correctly the conclusion you came to was incorrect
regarding the watts for spark length. When the wattage is doubled the spark
length increases only 1.41 times. This means that as the wattage is doubled
the spark length does not double and the "watts per ft of spark" increases.
More "watts per ft of spark" means a reduction in overall efficiency.

  John F. and my voltage/watt formulas can not be used for determining TC
efficiencies because not enought information is taken into consideration. To
correctly compare Tesla coils the true input energy per spark is necessary.
The spark lengths will then give you a fair comparison. The TC with the
longer spark will be the better coil. In some tests you will have to make
certain adjustments to assure the tests are comparable. In the past some
coilers have made these tests of their coils but I have not seen these types
of test lately.

John Couture