Re: Homemade coil winding lathe

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Fairly simple arrangement which is nice. If the rod is fully threaded and
simply riding in the wooden thru-holes, as you turn it it will try to drive
toward one side (may get somewhat tight after a while). If you dremel out
an area on the outer side of both wooden supports and insert bearings, then
you could easily just use a couple nuts locked together at each end to lock
the rod in place. It would be a nice free turning jig.

Something else which is nice to throw on (besides a slow motor) is a simple
mechanical counter if you have one laying around. I simply attach a prox
sensor to a support and mount a metal flag that passes over the prox each
revolution. The prox drives the counter (if your interested in counting
turns. If not, no need to do it).

Take care,
Bart