Re: Terry Gap vs. TCBOR...

If you are running a pri cap value of 1.6 * Cres the xmfr will be working
hard to supply the recharge current.  In short, extra available current to
cause power arcing will usually not be available.  If running at Cres, or
below this value, the xmfr has enough additional current after charging the
cap to possibly cause power arcing.

This also depends on the type of spark gap you are using.  I've found that
the standard 1/2 inch dia. tungsten electrodes we use have enough surface
area to do a good job of quenching without power arcing.  1/8th inch dia.
tungsten rods may heat to high local values especially near the edges which
could also lead to power arcing.  One indication of this problem --- if your
sec. sparks seem to "shrink" after 20-30 sec. of operation.  With good
quenching and heat dissipation the sec. spark will usually maintain it's max
spark length.

If you use a large surface area in your sparkgaps power arcing should not be
a factor.  With 60 mA NST usually 2 series gaps of 1/2 dia. or greater work
fine.  At 60 mA with 2 gaps we never use a blower.  At 120 mA or above a
blower is necessary with static gaps --- a better choice at this power level
is a synchro setup.

I'm looking foward to the Terry Gap vs. TCBOR gap report.

Dr. Resonance