Three Pigs in Series? RE: exploding capacitors

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Scot,

I'm curious to why you are running three 10kVA pole transformers in
series.  With only 10-12 feet streamers,
it appears you are not getting any advantage over a single pole
transformer.  Of course, I don't know what
your input power is, so maybe thats the missing piece of information.

I just know that I've seen more than a few coils putting out greater
than 12 foot streamers using a single
5-10kVA transformer.

Thanks
Dan

Hi Steve...

Im running 3 50KV .1uF's  Maxwells in series for 150KV total and Im
pushing
them with a seriesed set of 10KVA piggies for a total V in of 36KV in
the
primary circuit.  I  have put better than 150 hours run time on these
caps
and they are still going strong. Dont know how much longer they will
last
since I got them off of Ebay...  no telling what their previous life
entailed...
I prefer to keep the break rate at the sine wave peaks...  more joules
per
bang...  longer streamers  ( 10-12 feet)

Scot D