Re: Fritz vs TCBOR -- initial results in...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Malcolm,

 > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts"
 > <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
 >
 > Hi Brett,
 >             Why is it that the TCBOR waveforms show
 > a clear first
 > ringup and the "Fritz gap" waveforms do not?

I would like to know the answer to that as much as
you would.

 > I almost think I am
 > looking at the primary waveform in the case of the
 > latter.

No, the trace here is definately derived from the
secondary efield caputured here via a 12" antenna
attached to a BNC => gator clip lead, placed 8 feet
from the running coil.

 > No mention
 > is made of the spark condition for either test
 > although it is easy to
 > infer that the TCBOR waveforms were captured with
 > air-streamers.

Actually I did mention it if you read the name of this
.jpg, which documents photographically the coil
behavior for the quench waveforms gathered using the
Tek 922R.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/brett/misc/amount_of_breakout_for_test.jpg

The coil was kept at a point just beyond where
breakout first begins to occur.  Around 60V on my 140V
20A variac.  That why I included this photo and named
it appropriately:

I tried to intimate that spark conditions were those
found at minimal breakout by the way I named the above
photo.  I may or may not write a more organized paper
out of this "study" as I said earlier.

 > The
 > fact that the latter gap got hotter in operation
 > suggests that my
 > hypothesis about quench efficiency corresponding to
 > gap loss is not
 > entirely invalid.

Possibly.  But it could be that the loss the TCBOR is
experiencing is due to a mechanism that isn't quite as
obvious as electrode heating.

I know from experience of using that same TCBOR in
this system that it performs wonderfully when opened
up to a much wider spacing using between 4 and 6 gaps.
  At 3 gaps and at the .158" test spacing it performed
poorly streamer length (and apparently quenching)
wise.

 > However, the waveforms really make
 > the test look a
 > bit like they are in the apples vs oranges category.

Maybe they are.  That was part of Luke's question and
the main reason I did the test.  Lot of small gaps, or
fewer large gaps?

Idetical conditions except for 1.)electrode diameter
and 2.) number of gaps

Review the .txt file for exact spacing.

 > Can you comment
 > on any of these points please?

Hope I made that clear.  I guess I should have got a
real paper together before I released all this stuff.
This started out with something I was discussing with
Luke off list, and seems to be getting bigger.  Pretty
fun stuff though.  I wouldn't even be messing with
this if it wasn't for Terry and Richie Burnett...and
others.  I'd like to thank those guys for being an
inspiration to try to do things like this.