Re: LED at 60 HZ? (was RE: Radio Shack Strobes)

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi All,

I did build a LED strobe with white high intensity LEDs.  The circuit was a
12V xfmr, a 1K resistor, and two strings of two LEDs back to back for 120Hz.
The smear of the pin was about 3" or so in length.  I think it is more
"firing time" of the LED that is causing the smear.  It does not fire just
on the peak but before it and for a while after it, or anytime the voltage
is high enough to fire the LED.  A circuit that would turn on at peak and
turn off again quickly should cause a freezing of the pin to occur.  Then we
could make cheap high quality white LED strobes.

David E Weiss