Re: Fw: CD 942 failure tonight

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "BrianB" <brianb-at-antelecom-dot-net>
 >
 > Ed,
 >
 > I agree, but with what we are doing a silent contained failure is much
 > better than the rifle shot sounds a safety gap across a .12uf cap will
 > make.
 >
 > Brian B.
 > (Off to do some tube coiling)

Brian,

Sorry to beat on this, but I don't understand your reasoning.

Isn't the rifle shot sound, which could be muffled by enclosing the
safety gap, preferable to the cap self destructing grenade style, which
can also produce some pretty scary sounds......and sights.....and flying
debris.

The safety gap shouldn't be firing during normal operation. The safety
gaps across the caps on my magnifier have never fired during 20+ hours
of run time, but they are there standing guard nonetheless and I would
NEVER run without them.

Safety gap $10.....saving an $800 capacitor.....priceless!

Ed Wingate RATCB