Re: Fritz vs TCBOR -- initial results in...

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Malcolm,

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>Hi Bart,
>
>On 3 Mar 2004, at 21:39, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure that's a good method of comparison either. There are too
> > many differences. The fact that the electrode diameters are different
> > size (1.5"? and .5"?) is the biggest problem for the comparison. It's
> > simply a comparison of pipes layed flat or curved. Because the
> > electrode size is so different throws a pretty good size wrench into
> > the comparison (of gap styles). To do this would require the same gap
> > spacing and material/diameter electrodes. Then one could compare the
> > two to some reasonable degree.
>
>I think once one goes down that path, it is then simply a question of
>how many gaps/pipe sections work best for a particular coil. My
>preference for a comparison is to ensure firing voltage is the same
>for whatever gap types are being compared. That means _monitoring_
>the firing voltage, not relying on some variac setting which is
>obviously subject to resonant charging. This enables the meaningful
>inclusion of any type of gap in such tests.
>
>Malcolm

I agree that monitored and equal voltage is necessary for a comparison. As
far as I'm concerned, neither of the two mentioned gap types are really
different. The only difference I see significant is how one might perform
in the cooling arena vs. the other. The number of sections is directly
related to this, but is also related to quenching. As per the negative
resistance discussion recently, and with this thread, I was contemplating
the how the arc channel should react to an increase in electrodes, such as
a pipe gap. With the total gap the same, the arc width may or may not be
the same width (that's a fun one to think about).

For a 2 gap arrangement, we have 3 electrodes, air between 2 gaps, and the
air around. Here, the influence of the arc across the first of the two gaps
is not influenced by the arc between the second gap, at least there is a
nice cool electrode between the two arcs. The center electrode acts as a
barrier which divides the arc into seperate thermal events. The greater
number of pipe sections should aid in this division. Smaller pipe diameters
(within reason) with a greater number of pipe sections for the offset may
be better equiped for cooling and quenching (all other factors such as
forced air, etc., being the same) than larger diameters with a smaller
number of sections.

Take care,
Bart