Re: Image legality: you've got to be kidding !!??

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 7:20 PM
Subject: Image legality: you've got to be kidding !!??

 > Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>
 >
 > Chris -
 >
 > You absolutely HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!??
 >
 > Such righteous indignation about "intellectual and professional ethics"??
 > "Plagiarism"?  Please give us a break!
 >
 > (People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

I don't think Chris was griping about someone writing up bucket capacitors
(for gosh sakes, they were used by N. T. himself).. more the pretty blatant
copying of the image, and removing the on-image "bug" with attribution.

I would assume that Chris wouldn't have griped too much if Kreso had copied
the image (with the logo in it) and made a reference to where it came from.
In fact, that would probably fit (loosely) in the "fair use" exception.

Chris might have had a gripe if Kreso had linked to the image on the
geekgroup server rather than putting up his own.  Bandwidth isn't free,
after all.

For what it's worth, this isn't plagiarism, but outright copying.
Plagiarism is putting forth another's ideas as your own, and as far as I
know(not reading Serbo-Croat), Kreso is playing fair here.  As you say,
bottle caps have been around for centuries.

And of course, we don't know that perhaps Kreso responded to Chris' original
complaint with a "pound sand, I don't give a d***"  (I hope not... it's
impolite and unworthy). I have gotten this sort of comment in response to
complaints.. something along the lines of: "We don't really care about IP
rights here,  We'll import it anyway, because the customs service is
overburdened and you'll never stop us, we'll grind you into the ground by
undercutting your price. Go ahead and try to sue."