From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 8:06 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Quenching question.

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Luke,

Quenching occurs if the dielectric strength of the gap has recovered
sufficiently to prevent reignition of the arc after the last current
zero
crossing. This implies a combination of the following:

1. No portion of the electrodes can remain incandescent. This is often a

problem, since an incandescent cathode spot is normally created whenever
we
form an arc. If the cathode spot cannot be cooled quickly, it remains a
profuse source of thermal electrons. The free electrons are then
accelerated by E-field in the gap, where they can retrigger spark
breakdown, and arc reignition. Using more massive electrodes, external
cooling, and selected refractory metals or excellent thermal conductors
(copper, molybdenum, tungsten) helps. It's also important to prevent
buildup of oxidation byproducts since these can also become sources of
thermal electrons.

2. Hot air (which has a lower density and lower breakdown voltage) and
conductive ions must be physically removed or cooled sufficiently to
prevent reignition. Forced air cooling helps as does using a more
thermally
conductive atmosphere (such as hydrogen gas).

3. The voltage stress can be reduced so that is no longer sufficient to
cause reignition of the gap. Although this eventually happens naturally
as
bang energy in the TC is dissipated, the challenge is to make it happen
at
the first or second primary "notch". Using a lower voltage stress per
gap
(i.e., using more gaps), physically widening the gap (rotary gap), and
using a lower operating frequency (i.e., lower dv/dt) can improve this.

The "old timers" of spark radio combined many of these qualities in the
"quenching gap". They used relatively massive copper electrodes, a large

number of relatively small gaps, and an alcohol atmosphere (that changed

under use to a mostly hydrogen atmosphere, and later on a pure hydrogen
atmosphere). This approach also prevented further electrode oxidation.

Now to your question:
It is possible to have quenching that's "too good". As you probably
already
know, when the main gap fires, energy transfers from the primary to the
secondary over a number of cycles at the operating frequency of the
coil.
The higher the mutual coupling between the primary and secondary, the
fewer
cycles required. This energy transfer process is called "ring-up" - for
example, ringup in a coil with a coupling coefficient (k) of 0.18 will
take
~3 complete RF cycles to complete. If the spark gap can somehow be
forced
to stop conducting before ringup has completed, then only a portion of
the
primary circuit's energy will transfer to the secondary, and performance

will be reduced.

Although spark gaps operating in air at STP will likely not be able to
quench prematurely, it may be possible to do so with multiple gaps in a
pressurized hydrogen atmosphere. And premature quenching can certainly
occur in electronically switched gaps, such as improperly driven IGBT's
in
an Off Line Tesla Coil, or in a coil using a single trigger pulse and a
fast hydrogen thyratron switch. This has in fact been demonstrated in
systems by Terry Fritz (OLTC) and Richard Hull (H2 thyratron coil).

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP

Tesla list wrote:

 >Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
 >After reading a bit more about arcs (still taking some of it in)
quenching
 >occurs when the arc is cooled to the point where the air between the
 >electrodes can no longer stay in a plasma state.  This cooling can be
done
 >by lowering the current through the arc or by external cooling like
 >blowing cool air or gas across the gap.
 >This got me curious.
 >Imagine TC built with a gap that used external cooling of the gap to
aid
 >in quenching.
 >This cooling is variable and can be turned up or down to achieve
optimum
 >output.
 >For this question I don't care how the cooling is done or if there is a

 >known way to get the amount of cooling needed.
 >Just imagine that it can be done to any level desired.
 >Obviously if the cooling were turned down the gap would heat up and not

 >quench fast enough to allow the TC to operate efficiently.
 >As the cooling were turned up and the gap starts to quench faster the
TC